Peas Pulav/How to make Peas Pulav/Matar Rice04 Jun, 2017
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10 min
- Cook Time : 20 min
Peas Pulav does not need any introduction that prepares at every home especially in Punjabi families. This is another easy and staple rice recipe like zeera rice, which goes very well with any curry.
Sudden guests arrived can be prepared in few minutes. This recipe is very similar to zeera rice except adding peas and onion.
Here, I will give a recipe for Peas Pulao:
Rice 1 ½ cup Water 3 cup Peas ½ cup Onion 1 small Bay leaves 1 Cumin seeds 1 tsp Cinnamon Stick 1 small Lemon juice 1 tbsp Oil few drops Desi ghee/ Melted butter 1 tbsp. Salt to taste Cilantro for garnish
Wash the basmati rice till water runs clear and soak the rice for 30 min. After 30 min., drain the excess water and keep aside. And sliced the onion.
Place a pan over medium heat, add 1 tbsp of melted butter/desi ghee and few drops of oil. Oil prevents butter from burning. Once hot, add cumin seeds, bay leaves, and cinnamon sticks.
Once cumin seeds start crackles, add sliced onion and sauté it till becoming translucent. Now add peas and sauté for 1-2 min.
Now add salt and lemon juice. When it starts to boil.
Add rice and mix it well. Bring this to boil over medium-high heat once it starts boiling reduce the heat to low and cover it with lid. Let it cook for 8-10 min.
After 8 min, check whether rice becomes tender or not, if not then let it cook another couple of minutes. Once it becomes tender, switch off the flame and let it stand with lid on about 5 min.
Remove the lid and separate the rice with a fork. Peas pulao/Peas Rice/Matar rice is ready to serve with dal/ chole or any curry.
1. Adding oil is optional. It helps to prevent the melted butter to burn.
2. You can add chopped onion also
3. You can adjust the quantities of Peas more or less.
4. If you using frozen peas then they have to be thaw before the cook.
5. Lemon juice is optional. It helps to make rice fluffier.
6. If you want to prepare the peas pulao in the cooker then add rice in step 4 with peas and sauté for 1 min then pour the water and add lemon juice and salt, close the lid and pressure cook till 2 whistles over medium heat.
7. I have used 2:1 water and rice ratio. You can use your measurements.
If you happen to make it do click pictures and send it to me as a message on my FB page
If you like this post do drop in your feedback too.