Paneer/Homemade paneer/How to make Paneer at home/How to make cottage cheese24 Apr, 2017
- Servings : 240 gm
- Prep Time : 1 hrs
- Cook Time : 15 min
Paneer is Indian cheese which known as cottage cheese. Paneer prepared by adding food acid (lemon, vinegar, and curd/yogurt) into hot milk to separate the curd from the whey.
Paneer is very versatile that can prepare any curries, appetizers, snacks and salad. It takes only 30 min to make soft and healthy paneer at home. To get perfect soft paneer should use good quality of milk.
Paneer is the main ingredient of many Indian dishes.
Heat the milk in a heavy bottom pan over the medium-high flame, stir frequently to make sure milk don’t burn on the bottom of the pan. Once milk comes to boil.
Switch off the flame and wait for 3-4 min till the milk temperature cool down a bit. Now add 1 tbsp. vinegar and stir the milk gently, milk should start curdling if not add more vinegar little at a time till milk completely curdle (you can see greenish color water/ whey).
Once the milk fat has separated from the whey, drain the whey using a strainer line with a muslin cloth. Gather the cloth with curds
Rinse it under tap water so that there is no trace of vinegar. Gather the cloth with curds, squeeze out excess whey.
Transfer the curds with cheesecloth into a large plate. Shape them into the square and then fold the cheesecloth tightly. Set the second plate on top of the package and weigh it down. Press for at least 30 min or up to 1 hr. I have used my saucepan with filled water
After 1-hour paneer is ready, open the cheesecloth and you wee a block of cottage cheese all set.
Now cut it into cubes, triangles any shape you like. It can be store for 5-6 days in the refrigerator.
- 1. For the soft texture should use good quality milk.
- 2. Stir gently while curdling the milk, so that curdled milk should not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- 3. Quantity of vinegar varies, starts with 1 tbsp. wait for 20 25 sec and then add little by little and keep stir.
- 4. If paneer crumbles when you cut it means you have not drained/removed the whey properly.
- 5. The whey water can be use for making chapatti dough, which makes chapatti soft.
If you like this post do drop in your feedback too.